Tuesday, August 19, 2014

The CORE

Why did I choose CORE? Simple. Cores are at the center. Cores are important. The finance CORE is no different. These are things that are at the center of financial world.

CORE is:
  • Coding
  • Objectivity
  • Randomness
  • Estimation

To deal with that, financial professionals use:
  • C++/C#
  • Object-oriented Programming
  • R
  • Excel
Thus, that is the topic of this blog. These posts will discuss topics that are central to finance - at its core.

At a somewhat deeper level, I view much of what is discussed about finance, be it on the news or in the classroom or in the workplace, to be mostly superficial. Just look at the headlines "Dow 17,000 and why you should sell now!" etc. These topics litter the landscape, and, truthfully, I find them quite boring. You won't see me spouting doom-and-gloom unless I've got some serious factual support to back it up. Make-believe milestones don't lie at the heart of finance. Uncertainty is at the core of finance. Randomness is at the core of finance. These are the topics that need discussed, and that is exactly what I plan to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment